Here’s a question: How often DO you clean your yoga mat?
OK, think of it this way. How often do you clean your yoga-wear?
Now ask yourself the first question and see if the answers match up. My guess is no. So why is that? Sure, your pants, shorts and tanks are closer to your skin then the yoga mat, but we all sweat (from time to time) and when we’re working at it, it gets on the mat. And what do you do? Roll it up and forget about it until next time.
Consider adding your yoga mat to your regular laundering duties. After all, no one wants to smell that. Seriously. Here we give you a few Do’s and Don’ts on how to clean your mat.
1. DO: Mats should be cleaned weekly. This is especially true if you sweat a lot, practice a lot, or do yoga in the great outdoors. A quick wipe with a damp cloth or yoga wipes are great after every session, but consider a proper cleaning weekly. Make it part of your Sunday laundry duties.
2. DO: Consider what your mat is made of. If it’s all rubber, create a half-and-half solution of water and vinegar. And depending on the mat, you might also be able to add a little essential oil to the mixture – but again, depending on the mat, this may or may not be advisable.
3. DON’T: Soaking your mat might seem like a good way to clean it, but it’s actually a big no-no. Mats can absorb some of the water, which will cause mold and other problems, not to mention it’ll ruin the qualities of the mat.
4. DON’T: Leaving your mat out in the sun to dry might seem like a good, natural, idea, but it could actually cause more harm than good. The sun could dry out the mat and it could crumble up, making it lose its sticky property.
5. DO: Lastly, do consider throwing your mat in the washing machine once a month. Do NOT include soap, just put it through the cycle and then into the dryer on medium to high heat to dry.
How often do you clean your mat? And how do you like to clean it? If you have any Do’s and Don’ts tips to share, include them in the comments section below or give a shout on our Facebook page! We’d love to hear from you.